Rules of the Blog
If you are commenting or contributing there are only a few guidelines.
- Be nice.
- Be respectful.
- The odd swear is fine (used well it adds emphasis), just try not to do it too much. If it is funny it is fine. If it is an unnecessary string of angry swearing it’ll be moderated.
- There will be no trolling.
- If you want to be anonymous I’m sure you can think of a psuedonym rather than using the default ‘Anonymous’.
- This is a personal blog. It hosts my opinion and that of others, it hosts interesting things I find and want to share.
- This is not a resource on which marketers and PRs ‘place content’. I am not trying to ‘grow my website’. I don’t care about page views. I am not trying to ‘get my name out there’. I am not a ‘wannabe journalist’. I just want to watch racing and write about it sometimes.
Somehow I’ve accumulated a lot of followers on Twitter.
- I use @toomuchracing to follow people who talk about racing. If you don’t talk about racing I may unfollow you without saying so. It isn’t personal.
- I don’t pay attention to follower counts. I don’t care if you have 5000 or 50. I won’t retweet your plea to reach an arbitrary number you’ve plucked from the sky. It isn’t a competition to reach the highest.
- ‘Please RT!’ No. Stop begging.
- If you quote your follower count as justification for an opinion, you’re an idiot. (The same applies to your readership/listenership figures). “Well I believe *this* and I have x followers/readers/listeners, so I must be right!”. No, go away you insufferable fool.
- I’m not a journalist or a reporter but it is important to get things right. Mistakes happen in social media and I try not to rush on to bandwagons but it is very, very easy to do so.
- I follow a lot of people who are journalists, reporters, writers and trusted link sharers and I retweet their work frequently.
- Just to state that again. I retweet a lot. If you don’t like it, make use of Twitter’s under-rated List function and unfollow me from your main feed!
- I type quickly. Very quickly. The filter between brain and fingers isn’t as fast. I try not to flood your stream but it is very easy to get carried away. I am trying to move away from telling you what you’ve already seen on TV, that’s a terrible habit.
I have a personal account too which isn’t about motorsport.
My thoughts there are my thoughts as if I were talking aloud with my friends or just my internal monologue. That might sometimes includes swears and forthright opinions.. and drunk tweets. If you follow that account I expect you to be able to handle that.
I’m more choosy who I follow here because it is ‘my’ account and not the one for the blog. Nothing personal.
I’m amazed how many people still don’t know this:
If you start a message with “@name” only followers of both of you will see the message, unless someone directly visits your profile on the Twitter website. It won’t appear in the feed generally. In a timeline and especially on an app, if you want all of your followers to see it you have to move the mention later into the message, not start the message with it. This is why people sometimes start messages with ” . “.